Wednesday, June 26, 2013

War Chariots! 15mm Peter Pig Technicals

Here are six 15mm Peter Pig Toyota Pickups miniatures for use in modern Africa games.  The Peter Pig gunners only come in 3 poses and 2 of 3 are firing a .30 caliber machine gun.  I did not find any pictures of technicals with mounted .30s, so it seems strange that Peter Pig even made them.  To fix the problem I mounted some Battlefront (Vietnam) .50 caliber machine guns and a Battlefront (Flame of War) Russian DShk.

According to Wikipedia, an African warlord's power could be measured on how many technicals he had in his "army".  Six seems like a 1st level warlord, but I hope to paint some more in the future.  He might then be a respectable warlord.

They do seem to be mostly Toyota Pickups in the Google images.

Here is a scale comparison.

Here is the complete Peter Pig gunner with the .50.

This the a Peter Pig gunner that I cut the .30 cal off and added the .50 cal.

The Russian DShk.

And last a group shot with some infantry.  I do hope to get some pictures of them in a game this month.  I am working on some professionals/elites right now.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Putting a warlord in power takes time!

I have been working on AK-47, modern africa 15mm miniatures for a bit (years).  I have finished a mixed group of 15mm militia.  25 stands at 4 per stand turned out to be a fairly large job.  I have a mix of Peter Pig, Khurasan Miniatures, Rebel Minis, and a 2 Old Glory (Leader with machete and RPK on the same stand).

I painted them on stirring sticks attached with some blue/sticky tack.

Check out the shoes on these fellas!

After painting was finished it was time to base them.  I used Liquitex resin sand with paint added into the mix over Battlefront medium size bases.  I want the militia quality troops to be visible based on 4 miniatures per base, the regulars will have 3 per stand, and the elites will be 2 per stand.

I did score the bases, not sure if it was necessary.

Ready for the resin sand.

I used a color scheme I got from the Baron at  These lads are so dark that I went with high contrast basing, attempting to make the 15mm figs stand out.

The long, tedious process ...

And the final finished product.  I used Siflor Buffalo Grass Tufts to finish out the basing.  I sealed them with Krylon Matte and Testors Dullcote

Free elections this way!

I attempted to make the militia look dressed in a mix of fatigues and random civilian clothes.  Note the jersey, trucker hats, etc.

A John Deere hat here, must have been a donation from a church group.

The guy in the shades is on a walkie or a huge phone.

And here is a final group shot.

I am going to take pictures of the technicals I have been working on along with the boy soldiers and post them next week.  I am currently working on the elites.